Who is MRgFUS suitable for?
Whether a patient is suitable for MRgFUS therapy is clarified by the preliminary examination using magnetic resonance tomography (MRT).
- Treatment is only required if the fibroid is causing pain and discomfort.
- Whether the fibroids can be treated with MRgFUS therapy is dependent on the blood circulation, position, size and the number of fibroids
- The correct type of treatment must always be defined between the gynecologist, radiologists and the patient in each case. Whether a woman wants to have children or not also has a decisive role to play.
However, we still advise you to undergo the pre-examination at our center. An attending physician is always present for appointments at our FUS center. He/she will discuss your MRT images with you and can give you detailed answers to any questions you may have about the subsequent procedure.
Who is generally unable to receive treatment with MRgFUS:
- Patients with metal implants (including smaller metal clips) in the abdominal region
- Patients who wear a pacemaker
- Patients with a known contrast agent allergy as far as MRT is concerned. This does NOT include the iodine-based contrast agent used with X-rays in the CT or for other examination methods!
- Pregnant patients
- Patients whose weight exceeds the maximum load allowed for the device (110 kg)